As a small group leader or ministry team leader, it's helpful to have some prepared debrief questions for your team to respond to with you or with their own group after they've met a CarePortal request. This helps them “unpack” what they experienced or witnessed, grow in spiritual maturity, and be protected from burnout.
Attached, you'll find a PDF document with these questions. Feel free to take and customize these questions as needed for your own church!
Church Leaders, Local CarePortal Experts
- What qualities of God (love, mercy, grace, etc.) came alive to you during the process of meeting the CarePortal request?
- What expectations did you have going into this situation?
- Describe the cultural barriers you noticed. What was most challenging to you? What are the comparisons to what you consider normal?
- Are there any scripture passages that stand out to you as you think back on your experience? Why are those passages significant?
- How might this experience impact your life? Your prayer life?
- Reflect on any conflicts you noticed. Is there anything that should be resolved with others, yourself, or with God?
- Where was God during this experience? Could you sense His presence? If so, in what circumstance? If not, what might be the reason for that?
- How did you leave things with the family? Is there a chance for follow-up? If not, what kind of closure do you feel like you have?
- How can you pray for the family, the caseworker, and anyone else you encountered in this experience?
- What did you learn? What difference will this experience make for you, your family, and your relationship with the Lord?
- How do you think you did in representing your faith? What are some things you realize you need to grow in?
- What do you feel like God is inviting you to do now?