Churches with CarePortal Cards have the ability to return funds to the responder(s) that have sent money to help on a particular request. This article explains when a church should consider initiating the return of these funds, and how this process is done in the CarePortal system.
Church Leaders, CarePortal Field Team
Included in This Article
When to Return Funds
CarePortal requests represent vetted, approved opportunities to serve a local family or child in crisis. But that doesn't mean things don't still happen from time to time that would change the circumstance and cause churches that have started to get involved as well as any other responders to adjust. Some examples would include:
- The caseworker discovered other resources to meet the need and closed the request before the church was able to establish contact with the family or caseworker.
- The family's circumstances shifted and the caseworker closes the request as they adjust the way they care for the family.
- Something has happened within the church that has received funding on their CarePortal Card and they are no longer able to be involved on the request.
Note: In all of these cases, clear communication is important in order that everyone understands what is happening and what the next steps are.
How to Return Funds
- In the church's "Requests" tab, click on the "Leader Actions" tab of the request that needs funds returned to the responder
- At the bottom of the list of actions on the left side of the tab, click the "Send Refund to Responders" button and select the donation to refund (in cases with more than one responder offering funding)
- Confirm the action with the "Request Refund" button
Note: your current CarePortal Card Balance must be higher than the amount you request to be refunded
What Happens Next?
The CarePortal team will be notified and finish the process for the refund internally. Once finalized, the responder will be alerted that your church has refunded the amount they gave, which is sent to their CarePortal Account for the intended purpose of them directing those funds to a different request.